Saturday, November 26

My experience with transplanting


Today I removed four buxus microphylla faulkner hedges  from my planter box. I have a  box hedge planted at the front of my cottage, bordering the paths and needed some more to finish the job. The box hedge in the planter box was becoming pot bound and the four plants came out together when I pulled them up. I then used a pruning saw to separate each one.



Once the box plants were separated I pruned the roots down to a more manageable size to re-plant. I used Plants Plus Groganic  ( An organic compost) to help improve the soil structure.
Once they were all planted I watered them in well with SeaGold Liquid kelp, a health tonic which distresses transplanted plants.


The Buxus Faulkner lines the pathways. This variety is particularly hardy to cold and heat and performs better then an English box. The buxus faulkner is available now in a variety of different sized pots.

Serenity Nursery Top Tip: Use a lawn fertiliser such us Neutrogs Sudden Impact for Lawns on leafy hedges like Buxus Faulkner or English box. It is organic based and high in nitrogen to help promote lots of leafy growth. It's a great product for lawns and all non-flowering plants.



Pictured here ( along the back) is my much loved Escallonia Iveyi hedge. I love it, It's an old fashioned plant but it has really dark green glossy leaves and stark white flowers through Spring and Summer. It is really hardy and will grow in full sun and coastal conditions. They can grow up to 3 meters, but at this stage I like to keep it about a meter tall. I give mine a really good drink of SeaGold Liguid kelp through prolonged summer heat waves.

No comments:

Post a Comment